- Thursday, December 23, 2004
Kristian does the sleazy lounge-y "house-band"
thing for the Velvet Hammer Christmas Spectacular "Aurora Borealis".
Kristian is also designing the poster (drawing by Kristian Hoffman; design by Steve Stanley and Kristian
click for full-scale image
The El Rey Theater. El Rey, 5515 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles , CA (Between La Brea and Fairfax). 323-936-6400.
UPDATE!: Kristian will sing a duet at this gig with Barbara Duffy (one of the lovely
Poubelle Twins - they have their own petulant French Maid calendar). The song will be the Kirsty MacColl/Pogues X-mas Classic "Fairytale
Of New York."
- Saturday, December 11, 2004
Playing keyboards with Andrew in support of Andrew's new CD "What's It All About?" at Cafe-club
Fais Do Do (an International Pop Overthrow event). 5257 West Adams Boulevard, between
Washington and La Brea, just south of the 10 Freeway. (323) 954-8080
Check the www.internationalpopoverthrow.com website for other acts on the bill.
- Friday, December 3, 2004
Playing keyboards for Candypants' own
Lisa Jenio as she warbles some vintage tunes including Helen Kane's
(Betty Boop!) own "Button Up Your Overcoat" on "Clara Bow Tribute
Night". At Bricktops, 7702 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, 323-650-7968. Showtime 10:30 or 11:00-ish.
- Friday, November 19, 2004
Kristian will be singing the songs of Jerome Kern at Bricktops, 7702 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, 323-650-7968.
Accompanying Kristian will be keyboardist Linda Good of the Twigs, who has also played with obscure
acts like Lisa Marie Presley and Jane's Addiction.
- Sunday afternoon, November
Playing keys with Andrew to celebrate the release of Andrew's new CD "What's It All About?" The CD has a cover of Grapefruit's "Round Going
Round," on which Kristian plays piano.
This will be a free instore concert at Freakbeat Records, 13616 Ventura
Boulevard, in Sherman Oaks. Phone: (818) 995-7603. Call store for time.
Thu, Nov 11, 9:30 pm - ArcLight Theatre 11
Sat, Nov 13, 12:30 pm - ArcLight Theatre 11
Feature film "Nomi Song" about the life and career of Klaus Nomi will be showing in Los Angeles during the AFI Film
Festival, at the above dates and times. The film was directed by Andrew Horn. All of Kristian's Nomi compositions are played full length (more than
once) during the movie. Ann Magnuson and Kristian are featured in
extensive filmed interviews. Kristian also wrote a little original
incidental music for the film, most notably a "Fake Carpenters" cue (because they couldn't secure the rights to the "real" Carpenters).
Some Mumps snippets are used as punctuation, particularly several of
Lance's screams from "Scream and Scream Again."
To order tickets and more information, visit this page and scroll down to "Nomi Song."
- Friday, November 5, 2004
Kristian Hoffman presents:
A collection of mostly NEW and some OLD graphic works!
At East Side Studios, 4626 Hollywood Boulevard, Silverlake
click for full-scale image
- Tuesday, October 19, 2004
Kristian's artwork will appear in The New York City style and subculture magazine Paper in the issue to be released October 19. He drew fourteen comic-strip style panels for a travelogue on Ann Magnuson's recent visit to
London, titled "London Calling." Sounds pretty kooky! Paper Magazine's website.
- Monday, Sept. 27: ART TO GO
A benefit to Get Out The Vote in swing states
At the King King, 6555 Hollywood Blvd., 7pm to 11pm, $20 cover 21 and over.
Musical performances by John Fleck, Kristian Hoffman, Carla Bozulich, Badwater Bob, Robbie D and Roddy Bottum, Anna Homler and Michael Intriere, My Barbarian, Ann Magnuson, and Phranc. Also an opportunity to buy art by Kristian Hoffman and a long list of other incredible artists for just $200, to benefit the worthiest cause on the planet right now! Visit Art To Go! for more info.
- Wednesday, September 15: Kristian Hoffman and the Rock Gods will perform at Abby Travis' monthly theme night, "Mata Hari" at Club Tangier. (What L.A. Weekly has to say). Showtime 7:30. Tickets available at www.virtuous.com.
click for full-scale image
- Saturday, August 28, 2004, 8:00 p.m.: Kristian Hoffman to perform a song at "The Cover Problem: 50 Years Of Los Angeles Rock, Pop And Soul," a show being musically directed by L.A. singer songwriter Stew of The
Negro Problem. At California Plaza, 300-350 South Grand (between 3rd and 4th) -- parking available at 351 S. Olive (from 4th). FREE! The show is based around the last
five decades of L.A. rock and roll history. Other performers will include
Stan Ridgeway, Mike Quercio of The Three O' Clock, Vaginal Davis, Lisa
Jenio, Heidi Rodewald and Kristi Callan among others. Visit Grand Performances for more info.
click for full-scale image
- Wednesday, August 18, 2004: Abby Travis' monthly theme night "Mata Hari" at Club Tangier. See July 19 (below) for more in-for-ma-tion.
- Friday July 30:
Kristian on keyboards with the Velvet Hammer at the El Rey, 5515 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles , CA (Between La Brea and Fairfax). 323-936-6400. Doors: 7 P.M. / Show: 8 P.M.
Also on Friday July 30, playing keyboards on a set of Bessie Smith songs with Alice Bag singing
at Bricktops, 7702 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, 323-650-7968. 10 P.M.
- Tuesday, July 27, 2004:
Kristian has his own gig at the International Pop Overthrow Festival:
at Club Spaceland, 1717 Silver Lake Blvd., Los Angeles, 213-833-2843. Here is the www.internationalpopoverthrow.com website. Schedule for the evening:
8:30 The Condors
9:00 The Celebrities
9:30 Kristian Hoffman and the Rock Gods
10:00 The Charms
10:30 The Dukes of Silverlake (featuring members of The 88, a band Kristian highly recommends)
11:00 Jupiter Affect (Michael Quercio's band)
11:30 A.M. Radio
- Monday, July 19, 2004: Grand opening of Abby Travis' monthly theme night "Mata Hari" at Club Tangier.
An evening of Variety and Eccentric Exotica,
2138 Hillhurst Avenue, 1/2 Block South of Los Feliz Blvd.
Showtime is 7:00 - 10:00 P.M.
Abby will do one or two cabaret numbers with Kristian on keyboards to open the show. Scheduled acts for the July 19th opening night are Ann Magnuson (with Kristian on keyboards) and Jane Wiedlin of the Go-Go's. The night will close with the Abby Travis Band with Kristian on keyboards - "always to be done by 10:00 for your convenience."
Mata Hari will move to the third Wednesday of each month starting in August and occur Monthly. More info at www.abbytravis.com.
click for full-scale image
- Friday, June 2, 2004, Kristian will play keyboards with Abby Travis in a special return
engagement at Vaginal Davis' notorious club Bricktops
@The Parlour, 7702 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood
Here is a poster.
- Sunday, May 23, 2004, 3:00-8:00 pm. Team Loud presents a fundraiser for AIDS/LifeCycle 3 in honor of Lance Loud. At the Parlour Club, 7702 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood. $10 admission at the door. Featuring Weba Garretson, Las Tres (with Alice BAG, Angela Vogel, Teresa Covarrubias), Kristian Hoffman with Abby Travis, Brian Grillo, and other surprise guests.
Here is a poster for this show.
- Friday, May 21st, 2004. "The Bollywood Follies" at The Key Club, 9029 Sunset Blvd. Doors 8 P.M. Reservations: 310 274 5900. Kristian will sing "Jaan Pechaah
Ho" again as the finale. Tickets also available thru Ticketmaster.
- Sunday, April 25, 2004. Playing with Mink Stole in her new show It's All About Me - An Experiment in Ego Gratification. At the Cavern Theatre at Casita Del Campo, 1920 Hyperion Avenue, Silverlake, 323-969-2530. 7:00 p.m., tickets $10 in advance, $12 at the door.
- Tuesday, April 13, 2004. Playing with Abby Travis at Tangier, 2138 Hillhurst Avenue, Los Feliz, L.A. 323-666-8666. Advanced tickets available from www.virtuous.com
- Saturday, April 10, 2004. Playing in the band in The Velvet Hammer Presents: Illuminata. The Great American Music Hall, 859 O'Farrell Street, San Francisco. Tickets: $25, available at www.sunsettix.com or 415-389-TIXX. Visit the Velvet Hammer website at www.velvethammerburlesque.com.
- Thursday, April 8, 2004. Playing in the band in The Velvet Hammer Presents: Illuminata. The Avalon Theatre, 1739 N. Vine Street, Hollywood. Doors 7:00/show 8:00. General tix: $30, runway and opera box tix: $40, available at www.ticketmaster.com. Visit the Velvet Hammer website at www.velvethammerburlesque.com.
- Friday and Saturday, 12 and 13 December, 2003, Kristian will take part in a Burt Bacharach tribute concert staged by Joe McGinty of the Loser's Lounge at the Fez, 380 Lafayette Street at Great Jones, New York City. Kristian is slated to sing one song, title yet to be determined.
- Monday, 17 November 2003, at the Twelve Bar Club, 22-23 Denmark Place, London, England! Telephone: 020 7916 6989. Website. Opening at 8:30 pm is Mike Randle of the L.A. band Baby Lemonade, currently on tour with Arthur Lee of Love; playing at 9:30 is Daniel Rachel; Kristian goes on at 10:30. An acoustic gig!!
- Sunday, 5 October, 2003, 8:00 p.m. at The Derby, 4500 Los Feliz Blvd., Los Angeles at Hillhurst, (323) 663-8979.
Here is a poster for this show.
- Wednesday, July 30, 2003, 8:30 p.m. at Club Spaceland, 1717 Silver Lake Blvd., Los Angeles. This gig is part of the International Pop Overthrow festival. A whole slew of bands play that night, including Johnny Polonsky, The Gigolo Aunts, and The 88, who are fantastic!
- Friday, June 6, 2003: Short cabaret set, piano and voice with maybe a couple of musical extra touches. Mostly 'twenties covers -- "I'm a Jazz Vampire" and the like. At: Bricktops at the Parlour Club, hosted by Vaginal Davis, 7702 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood.
20's speakeasy and mah jong attire encouraged!
- Sunday, April 6, 2003: Acoustic set at "Broken Mike," a monthly songwriter showcase at Angeles Bohemio's Restaurant, 3200 Sunset Blvd. at Descanso in Silverlake, 323-667-1083. With Anton Barbeau. Here is a poster for the gig:
- Thursday, March 27, 2003: Knitting Factory, 7021 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood. Elvis Costello tribute put on by Gary Stewart (Rhino Records) and Greg Dwinnell (eggBERT Records). Kristian will sing two songs -- "Riot Act" from Get Happy and "Home Truth" from Goodbye Cruel World. He will also back up Ann Magnuson on "Oliver's Army" from Armed Forces. Jonathan Lea will be on guitar. Rumored other participants include Jon Brion, Michael Penn, and Grant Lee Phillips.
- Fri., March 7, 2003, Abby Travis with Kristian Hoffman accompanying, at the Parlour Club, 7702 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA, 21+, $5.00, 10:00 p.m., 323-650-7968.
- Thu., Feb. 20, 2003, Kristian Hoffman solo show, Highland Grounds, 742 Highland at Melrose, Los Angeles, 323-466-1507. Also on the schedule: Andrew Sandoval; and Rick Menck (of the Velvet Crush) with Tommy Keene.
Here is a poster advertising this show.
- Sat., Feb. 15, 2003 with Velvet Hammer, in the Millionaire's fab combo supporting a bevy of scantily clad beauties, at the Great American Music Hall, 859 O'Farrell Street, San Francisco, CA, 94109.
- Wednesday, January 15th, 2003 at 10:00 P.M., $7 cover
at Club Spaceland, 1717 Silverlake Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, PH: 213 - 833 - 2843.
Confirmed guest singers so far are Carolyn Edwards, Steve Stanley, Andrew Sandoval, and Abby Travis, with a good likelihood of an Ann Magnuson appearance as well.
Warm-up bands are Yellow #5 and Myshkin's Ruby Warblers.
- Wednesday through Saturday, December 4-7, 2002, at "The Mac" at McKinney Avenue Contemporary, 3120 McKinney Avenue, Dallas, Texas, 214.953.1212:
Kristian will be playing keyboards with Ann Magnuson in her "Pretty Songs and Ugly Stories" show. Rumor has it that Ann & Kristian might sing "Sex in Heaven" and that Kristian may perform another song, if the Fates (or possibly the Muses?) are smiling.
- Nov. 14 and 21, 2002: Playing keyboards with the "Velvet Hammer" burlesque.
Here is an advertisement for the shows.
- Wednesday, November 6, 2002, 9:00 p.m. Fez Under Time, New York City, 380 Lafayette St., at Great Jones St., New York, 212-533-2680
Kristian Hoffman's New York City solo debut and exclusive East Coast appearance!
Here are photographs from this show.
Here is the set list for the show.
Guest artists included the incredible Antony of Antony and the Johnsons (www.antonyandthejohnsons.com), a gender-busting combo of Klaus Nomi and Bryan Ferry; Wendy Ip; Joe "Loser's Lounge" McGinty; Sally Norvell; Philip Shelley; Abby Travis.
Here is a poster advertising the show.
- October 19, 2002: With "Velvet Hammer" burlesque show in San Francisco. Click here for a look at a program from a previous performance.
- September 20, 2002: 8 pm, at The Knitting Factory, 7021 Hollywood Blvd. with Quazar & the Bamboozled (9:00) and the Wondermints (10:00)
- September 1, 2002: Playing keyboards in El Vez's band at the Bumbershoot Festival in Seattle, WA.
- August 23, 2002: With "Velvet Hammer" house band The Maharaji's of Melody at Italian restaurant in Hollywood called Miceli's just off Hollywood Blvd. The address is 1646 N. Las Palmas and the phone number is 323-466-3438; call restaurant for time of show.
- August 16, 2002: Kristian will be playing grand piano in El Vez's band at an outdoor early evening concert in California Plaza in downtown L.A. This is a fantastic setting - surrounded by fountains, overlooking the downtown city scape, wafted by summer breezes.
- August 15, 2002, 7:00 p.m.: In-store performance with a band at Amoeba Records, 6400 Sunset Blvd. at Cahuenga, Los Angeles, 323-245-6400. Free gig! Is there a better deal anywhere? Come listen and buy a copy of &!
- The record release party for & was Wednesday, July 10th at The Derby, Los Feliz, Los Angeles.
- Kristian toured in April - May 2002 as the keyboard player in the Dave Davies Band. See the Raving Dave Fans website for dates.
Top of page